Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dewey Beach, DE, to Pokomoke, MD

"Partly sunny. A chance of rain...mainly in the afternoon. Cooler with highs in the mid 60s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent"

While yesterday it was 83 degrees, today's forecast was for twenty degrees cooler! So much for our unseasonable, warm weather. Time to break out the cool weather gear that we didn't need further north. While it was chilly when we started, it was very pleasant later in the ride and we encountered no precipitation today!

We started the ride after luggage loading at 8:45 AM instead of the normal 7:30 AM so we wouldn't arrive at today's destination before our rooms were ready. A 63 mile ride is considered "short" when you are averaging 80 miles a day.

Another day, another state line! At mile 17, we crossed into Maryland. Goodbye Delaware, it was nice knowing you. Our route took us down the Delaware seashore on highway 1 to Ocean City and then cut inland on SR113 to Pocomoke City. Once we turned West, moderate headwinds were unpleasant for the rest of the day.

I asked the "Pedigrees" if I could ride with them. It was a split vote, but they called in a tie breaker and I was accepted for the day. The Big Dogs were confused, but also joined in the fun. A few miles down the road, Jack suggested I get a photograph of the pace line, so I jumped on the pedals and sprinted up the road, calling out to the head of the pack, "photograph!" Unfortunately, Peter, Al, and Mike didn't hear the "photograph" part and thought I was attempting a breakaway. A short while later, I pulled off the road to take a picture but by then the big dogs were off to the races. The Pedigrees and I then continued our casual ride down the coast to Ocean City, home of many, many miniature golf courses, condominiums, stop lights, hotels, restaurants and curio shops. When we made our turn West, we moved from the craziness along the beach to farms and ultimately forests. There was very little car traffic, the skies were partly cloudy and it was a great day for a bike ride. After the SAG stop, I found myself alone until Pokomoke where I saw Amy and Scott's bikes outside a pizza joint; I joined them for a very pleasant lunch before riding the remaining short distance to the hotel.

Pokomoke City, MD (1878)
Population 4,184; elevation 7'
Called the "friendliest town on the Eastern Shore," Pokomoke gets its name from the local Indians' name for the river, "black water."

64.0 miles; 3:58 hours; 582' climb; 3,340 Calories.

1 comment:

  1. "The Pedigrees" - I like it! I still remember the day you joined the Daltons in '09 (coming off of a puncture, I think)and we tried to act like we had our act together as a matter of respect for you. Even at that, we could only hold you back for a few miles I think. :) Great to hear you are still showing them all how it's done! Hello to the other Big Dogs for me!-Karen N

    ReplyDelete