Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Yesterday, I flew to Maine. It was a long day, but everything went smoothly and I arrived safely at the hotel in South Portland. My bicycle had been unpacked and assembled by a local bike shop. I checked into my room, unpacked, and went to the lobby to meet my old friends from '09 and the other riders. Several of us went into Portland for dinner at a very posh Italian restaurant.

Bright and early this morning, I went in search of coffee and ran into several riders who said they were going to do a short ride to the coast. Of course, I asked if I could tag along. There were eight of us and we rode a very nice thirty mile loop, stopping for lunch at a local dive and having lobster rolls! You can't visit Maine without having a lobster roll. Oh, yes, it was sunny and warm - a beautiful day in New England.

30.7 miles; 2:12 hours of riding; 1,148 feet of climb; 1,535 Calories

2 comments:

  1. As always your pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beach Bike Squad update. Today was our first day on the road. A few kinks to work out but nothing major. Made good progress. No false flats.
    2.9 miles; 0:50 hours; 0 feet of climb; 400 calories (according to treadmill readout).

    Cast of characters:
    Phoebus Horrificus - Team leader. Vicious when crossed. Stay off her wheel or suffer the consequences.
    Second Rider - recently promoted to super-domestique. Vision failing, hearing failing, arthritic, but cheerful and always willing to lend a paw.
    Fourth Rider - still alive. Motto: 'the flesh may be weak, but the spirit is very willing (to eat treats)'.

    P.S. Cancellara took bronze at the worlds in men's time trial (overshot corner, had to come to complete stop, so was beaten by Tony Martin and Brad Wiggins).

    ReplyDelete